The Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage, Darragh O’Brien, and the Minister of State for Local Government and Planning, Kieran O’Donnell, have today (1 May 2023) announced €83.125 million in national funding for Housing Adaptation Grants for Older and Disabled people for 2023.
This is a 2.3% increase on the initial 2022 funding allocation and represents a continuation of the year-on-year increases in the grant since 2014.
The 2023 funding allocation is expected to result in some 12,300 grants for older people and disabled people, to facilitate them living independently in their own homes.
Announcing the funding today, Minister O’Brien said:
“I am delighted to allocate increased funding in 2023 to deliver 12,300 Housing Adaptation Grants for Older and Disabled people. This allocation will build on the success of last year where we exceeded the number of home adaptations initially targeted. We want to empower and enable people to live independently in their own homes for as long as possible – these grants help us to do just that. They also provide a boost to local economies, creating employment opportunities for local contractors.”
Grants of up to €30,000 are available to assist disabled people in carrying out necessary works to make a house more suitable for their needs. Additionally, grants of up to €8,000 are available to assist older people to have necessary repairs or improvements carried out on their homes. Grants of up to €6,000 are available for mobility aids.
The funding announced today, which supports home adaptations for older people, those with a disability and people with mobility issues, provides 80% Exchequer funding through the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage. The remaining 20% in funding comes from the relevant local authority.